A physician assistant in surgery is someone who is officially trained to perform diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive care treatments under the supervision of a surgeon. Also, a surgery physician assistant or a physician assistant surgery is skilled enough to hold responsibilities as a researcher, committee member, pharmaceutical representative or a surgical equipment supply officer.
.The Common Roles of Surgery Physician Assistant
- In-office Patient Care – the surgery physician assistant can implement all kinds of care within the office setting under the supervision of the surgeon.
- Hospital Care Setting – physician assistant in surgery can perform duties related to 1st assistant in surgery; write orders related to post-op procedures and discharge planning.
- Research and Administration – PA surgery can perform work related to being a researcher, committee member and supplies and pharmaceutical representative liaison.
General Duties and Responsibilities of PA Surgery
- Diagnose and treat injuries and illnesses
- Orders and interprets laboratory findings
- Educates patients
- Execute minor surgical procedures
- Performs first aid treatments
- Apply emergency care treatments
- Conduct research and studies related to drugs
Hospital Duties and Responsibilities of PA Surgery
- Accomplishes admission entries
- Conducts daily hospital rounds
- Gives instructions for necessary laboratory tests
- Appraises clinical conditions
- Implements treatment and therapeutic plans
- Handles discharge planning
PA surgery programs encompass medically related courses in the form of human anatomy, microbiology, behavioral sciences and medical ethics among others. Physician assistant surgery clinical rotations require students have hands-on solid training not only in surgical specialties but also in medical subjects.
If you’re planning to become a dermatology physician assistant, consider the PA program tips we’ve prepared for you.